An open letter from founder & executive director Deborah Bradley-Kramer:
As many of you know, I am the founding artistic director of SPEAKmusic (www.speakmusicnyc.com), a collective of Columbia University and Juilliard musicians dedicated to enlivening the world of classical music through community and social engagement.
At this holiday season we would like to ask for your support of two of our most meaningful projects coming up near future: to Poland in March 2016, and to Kenya in January 2017.
More details on the trips are below, and at www.speakmusicnyc.com/donate.
• We will be engaging in grass-roots cultural educational project with composers at two major conservatories (Chopin University and Lodz) and students in some of Poland’s elementary and high schools.
• At the conservatories and at the Musica Moderna International Festival, we will collaborate with Polish composers and performances of American music from Gershwin to Goldschmitz (Chason Goldschmitz, a Columbia-Juilliard student; winner of the Juilliard Orchestra’s 2015 composer competition).
• Not only will we introduce Polish audiences to American music, but also — through questions raised the music — we will engage with Polish musicians in discussing social questions that occupy young people from both of our countries.
• At local elementary schools, we will do some of the above, and in addition, discuss musical representation of marginalized people from both of our lands. In this age of intolerance, we believe we can make a real impact through mutual discoveries referencing common points between the music of our two countries.
• We are also in talks to bring our music projects to refugee camps in Warsaw, and to the POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews.
• We will perform with young musicians of the Kenya Conservatoire orchestra, coach students, present master classes, and donate instruments to the conservatory orchestra – an orchestra whose talented young musicians still do not own their own instruments.
• A crucial component of our Kenya trip is to raise awareness to social and environmental causes, and toward this end, we will team up with Columbia University scientists in cross-disciplinary initiatives involving performance, talk, and special compositions written for the occasion (more details to come on our website as the projects develop.)
In order to bring the following tours to fruition, we need to raise funds — a total of $16,000 for the two tours. We currently need funds only for airfare.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
• Help us reach our goal of $6000 for airfare to Poland (8 musicians) & other travel costs
• Help us reach our goal of $10,000 for airfare to Kenya (8 musicians) & other travel costs
• Donations are tax-deductible: Tax-ID 81-0868017
• Donations can be made online via PayPal at http://tinyurl.com/speakmusic (directs to Paypal donation page). Can be made via credit/debit or an existing PayPal account.
• Checks can be made payable to "SPEAKmusic, Inc.", and sent to:
25 Claremont Ave #4B, New York, NY 10027
• Visit http://www.speakmusicnyc.com/donate/ to learn more about our tour & levels of donating
• Examples of rewards include free audio tracks, program recognition, videos, and even personal house concerts!
• Additional money raised beyond our goals will go toward a SPEAKmusic CD and DVD.
• If we do not reach our goal for Poland, the money raised will go towards the 2017 Kenya Conservatoire outreach trip and other future SPEAKmusic outreach endeavors in NYC and beyond.
We can't do this alone — help the music SPEAK this holiday season. Thank you so much for your support.
Founder, Executive & Artistic Director, SPEAKmusic Ensemble
P.S. Please visit our website (and keep stopping by!) for more info on our projects: www.speakmusicnyc.com